[SDL] Re: When will there be blitting support when using OpenGL

Pierre Phaneuf pphaneuf at sx.nec.com
Wed Apr 5 13:46:00 PDT 2000

vining at pacificcoast.net wrote:

> I was under the impression that in order to use MMX instructions you had to
> switch a few things around which takes double digit cycles. I haven't
> actually tried MMX coding myself, I keep on meaning to.

No, they simply are more instructions for you to use. You *do* have to
add some logic for fallback routines though. This usually comes in the
form of a function pointer. 3Dnow! and SSE are even more interesting
(MMX does only integer, 3Dnow! and SSE can do FP).

> >Baldur's Gate 2 is going to use OpenGL I think, is that possible? If I
> >remember correctly, people generally said "huh?!?" after hearing this,
> >personnally I didn't play Baldur's Gate.
>
> I think that while not an FPS it does have 3D elements... it certainly ain't
> tile based.

>From screenshots I saw, I think it is tile based, with isometric view. I
do not know if each individual "items" (players, monsters and so on) are
drawn with multiple 3D polygons or  are used in a "sprite" kind of way.
I am not sure from memory, but I actually think that BG2 will *require*
a 3D video card, much like Q3A (i.e. there is no software renderer)!

--
Pierre Phaneuf
Systems Exorcist