[SDL] Re: When will there be blitting support when using OpenGL

Pierre Phaneuf pphaneuf at sx.nec.com
Wed Apr 5 13:18:14 PDT 2000

vining at pacificcoast.net wrote:

> Unfortunately, not true. We have no way of guaranteeing that an
> SDL_Surface has not changed since the last upload (since we can
> access the surface's pixels directly without going through another
> API), therefore we would need to constantly re-upload. A cruel world.
> As for necessity, you're right, but if you wanted to do something
> like rewrite SDL's video aspect to do 2D blits on top of OpenGL you
> would have to. Sucky.

Actually, I already suggested to Sam that forcing people to use a
Lock/Unlock kind of operation would be a nice idea and would enable some
drivers to accelerate cases like these (for exemple, in raw Xlib,
Pixmaps can be faster than shared memory with XF86 4.0, and just as fast
with pre-4.0).

--
Pierre Phaneuf
Systems Exorcist