[SDL] When will there be blitting support when using OpenGL

Loren Osborn sondheim at mail.lokigames.com
Wed Apr 5 11:25:58 PDT 2000

> >When will blitting be enable when using OpenGL with SDL.  Also, is there
> >TODO list for SDL. If not, it would be nice to have one so that people
> >can know what to expect and when.
>
> <Whap!><BANG!><THUNK!>
>
> REPEAT AFTER ME: OPENGL IS A 3D API.
>
> Just to make sure that you're not going to do something irresponsible like a 2D
> game in OpenGL.
>
> Now, blitting. IMHO it's not practical (and not desireable for me as a
> programmer, even if it existed).
>
> 1) If we did this, we'd need to start generating texture objects for surfaces.
> 2) Since we have no real way of verifying surface integrity, we would need to
> re-upload the entire texture to the video card every time that we did a blit.
> 3) Surfaces would need to be restricted to 256x256 (a hardware limitation on
> older cards, like certain Voodoos).
>
> So, let's just say that "it's a bad thing" and let's do it ourselves by hand!
>
> On the todo list, I don't think anybody ever put one up in one place. I had a
> few notes posted to the ML, try to dig through the archives.
>
> Nichol

While I think blitting to/from texture maps and/or blitting from the 3D frame
buffer would be nice, in most cases they aren't necessary.

It would be nice if (when availible) the same API functions can used to copy
to/from textures and from 3D framebuffers as are used for blitting.  Not a
necessity, but a convienence...

What I think is REALLY ANNOYING, however, is that the documentation seems to
say that all blitting is disabled... I see no reason to disable off-screen
surface blitting in a 3D application.

Regards,

-Loren