[SDL] SDL_mixer lib questions

vining at pacificcoast.net vining at pacificcoast.net
Wed Apr 5 11:00:03 PDT 2000

>I've recently started porting some directsound stuff, and have run into
>a few questions about the SDL_mixer library:
>
>1) What is the rationale behind the maximum number of channels being set
>to 8? Would it be worth adding a function to allow apps to up this
>limit?

I think it's completely and utterly random.  I don't know if I'll have to change this to do some of the OpenAL wrapping stuff which I'm
supposed to be doing this evening ...

>2) Can SDL take advantage of hardware mixing? From looking at the audio
>code, it looks like everything is mixed in software.

AFAIK SDL_Mixer overlaps SDL's audio functions which simply interface out to other libraries (OSS, DirectSound, ESD, Whatever). I
wouldn't mind seeing the channel support glopped into SDL instead of SDL_Mixer, and then using whatever those libraries recommend, if
they do recommend. Hmm... I honestly can't remember if SDL_MixAudio or whatever it's called uses hardware if possible.

>3) Would I be better off just ditching the SDL audio support and just
>going to OpenAL?
>
>Probably somewhat overkill for a non-3d sound system, but the API looks
>really nice to work with...

Nah, I'm doing it too -- I'm even extending my game's audio support to now use 3D audio! OpenAL rocks my worl;d.

Really, after all's said and done, SDL_Mixer is sort of a bunch of hacks stacked on top of SDL. I'm saying OpenAL since it's got a better,
more thought out API, and probably has.... OK, will have .... better cross platform sound support. So explain why I volunteered to bind OpenAL
on top of SDL_Mixer? :-)

>Ben Campbell (Antipodean Straggler)

Antipodean Straggler? Wuzzat?

Nicholas