[SDL] When will there be blitting support when using OpenGL

Daniel Vogel 666 at grafzahl.de
Wed Apr 5 10:56:13 PDT 2000

Michael Vance wrote:

> > Just to make sure that you're not going to do something
> > irresponsible like a 2D game in OpenGL.
>
> Tut, tut If I were making an isometric game like Diablo right now, I'd
> use OpenGL. Just for the raw fillrate, if not for the "free" special
> effects such as alpha blending, etc. In the worst case you have to

alpha blending, rotation, filtering, lighting, zooming, ...

> break up sprites into 256x256 chunks, but that's nothing terrible. A
> billboarded quad is a sprite...

And you only have to split it up into 256x256 on a Voodoo (die Voodoo
die). If you do the splitting up at runtime for most cards you don't
have to do it (G400 and TNT have a 2048x2048 limit). There is a little
problem with splitting up textures naively: filtering and mipmapping can
produce visual artifacts in the transition if you are not careful.

--
Daniel Vogel                           My opinions may have changed,
666 @ http://grafzahl.de               but not the fact that I am right