[SDL] When will there be blitting support when using OpenGL

Michael Vance briareos at lokigames.com
Wed Apr 5 10:28:24 PDT 2000

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 05:07:47PM -0000, vining at pacificcoast.net wrote:

> REPEAT AFTER ME: OPENGL IS A 3D API.

Sure, but what game doesn't work in some sort of three-dimensional
space? Even side scrollers have parallax, etc.

> Just to make sure that you're not going to do something
> irresponsible like a 2D game in OpenGL.

Tut, tut If I were making an isometric game like Diablo right now, I'd
use OpenGL. Just for the raw fillrate, if not for the "free" special
effects such as alpha blending, etc. In the worst case you have to
break up sprites into 256x256 chunks, but that's nothing terrible. A
billboarded quad is a sprite...

m.

--
Programmer             "Ha ha." "Ha ha." "What are you laughing at?"
Loki Software                      "Just the horror of being alive."