[SDL] When will there be blitting support when using OpenGL

vining at pacificcoast.net vining at pacificcoast.net
Wed Apr 5 10:07:47 PDT 2000

>When will blitting be enable when using OpenGL with SDL.  Also, is there
>TODO list for SDL. If not, it would be nice to have one so that people
>can know what to expect and when.

<Whap!><BANG!><THUNK!>

REPEAT AFTER ME: OPENGL IS A 3D API.

Just to make sure that you're not going to do something irresponsible like a 2D
game in OpenGL.

Now, blitting. IMHO it's not practical (and not desireable for me as a
programmer, even if it existed).

1) If we did this, we'd need to start generating texture objects for surfaces.
2) Since we have no real way of verifying surface integrity, we would need to
re-upload the entire texture to the video card every time that we did a blit.
3) Surfaces would need to be restricted to 256x256 (a hardware limitation on
older cards, like certain Voodoos).

So, let's just say that "it's a bad thing" and let's do it ourselves by hand!

On the todo list, I don't think anybody ever put one up in one place. I had a
few notes posted to the ML, try to dig through the archives.

Nichol