[SDL] Yet more probably OT LGPL questions and comments.

Michael Samuel michael at sal.mik.hyperlink.net.au
Wed Apr 5 02:34:02 PDT 2000

Hi Sam,

On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 10:12:01PM -0700, Sam Lantinga wrote:
> > A question for Sam I guess: How did Loki deal with the libc6 library
> > and/or other LGPL'd libraries the software you folks ported relied on?
>
> In general we only rely on our own libraries, SDL, and glibc.
> glibc is a special case in that we dynamically link with the version on
> the system, therefore we don't have to include any source.  I believe
> the admonition to providing source code only holds if you ship with the
> library that you are linking with.  You are free to say "requires XXX,
> available at YYY" without worrying about the license (I think) :)

There is a special clause in the GPL (and presumably in the LGPL) about
system libraries.  This was necessary for the original writing of free
software, before it made a complete OS.

Also, there is no requirement that you distribute the source with the
binaries, so long as you make available the source on request at the only
cost of providing it.

--
-- Michael Samuel <michael at sal.mik.hyperlink.net.au>

If A equals success, then the formula is A = X + Y + Z.  X is work.  Y
is play.  Z is keep your mouth shut.
		-- Albert Einstein