[SDL] Beginner Question

Chris Heller heller at teragram.com
Thu Apr 13 12:55:08 PDT 2000

> In the best case, latency isn't too slow; all that separates a
> client drawing request from the server carrying it out is a single context
> switch.

Just went and RTFM... Context switches shouldn't be a problem at all.
They're less than 10 microseconds. You would definitely have to be careful
that your CPU cache doesn't go to heck, but the scheduler trickery could
probably take care of that. (you don't want to give SETI at home a timeslice in
the middle of a rendering operation =)

As far as I can see, one server process accessing hardware on behalf of many
clients would not differ much from many clients rendering directly.

Dan