[SDL] Why not nanosleep()?

Nicholas Vining vining at pacificcoast.net
Mon Apr 3 21:57:18 PDT 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Garrett <mongoose at WPI.EDU>
To: sdl at lokigames.com <sdl at lokigames.com>
Date: Monday, April 03, 2000 9:07 PM
Subject: Re: [SDL] Why not nanosleep()?

>  Linux has an internel timer resolution of 10Hz. The most accurate you can
set
>a timer for in linux is 1/100th of a second. nanosecond is pointless since
you
>will never get nanosecond accuracy. Im not sure about other OS's but I
would
>guess that you wouldn't get nanosecond accuracy on them either. Also select
is
>the most portable timer. I think even windows supports it.

Huh. What's the resolution of the internal Pentium timers? It's gotta be
better than SDL's current resolution, and if that's really important, we
could go that route and start doing things that way. I have improved
resolution timer code for both x86 Pentium machines and Mac PPCs, if anybody
wants.

Cheers,

Nicholas
--
Nicholas Vining         "While you're out there struggling
vining at pacificcoast.net  with your computer, I'm naked,