[SDL] Re: SDL

Sam Lantinga slouken at devolution.com
Fri Apr 14 17:40:56 PDT 2000

> SDL looks very powerful and I've seen some excellent examples of it being
> used - but picture trying to write an Adventure game, similar to King's
> Quest or the Monkey Island games, where the characters need to scale larger
> and smaller as the move around on the screen. SDL doesn't support sprite
> scaling - which is a big let down. I could likely write my own scaling
> routine, but doubtless my code would be slow.

> Perhaps you could think of adding surface scaling?
> example:

> extern int SDL_BlitSurface(SDL_Surface *src, SDL_Rect *srcRect, SDL_Surface
> *dst, SDL_Rect *dstRect)
> Where the dstRect does not need to be the same size as the source rect and
> the source image is scaled larger or smaller to fit the dstRect.
> Thanks
> Clay Larabie
> Lead Developer of Tacendia Online

Yep, it's on the wishlist, just not implemented.  The difficulty is
the large number of combinations of conversion/colorkey/alpha blits
that all need to be written for scaling.

Although, perhaps just a scaling copy blit would be a nice addition. :)

See ya!
	-Sam Lantinga, Lead Programmer, Loki Entertainment Software