[SDL] recording audio

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at nibiru.pauls.erfurt.thur.de
Thu Aug 26 08:55:02 PDT 1999

Serhat Sakarya wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to setup a little networked graphical environment with a
> reasonably high degree of interaction. For this purpose I'm interested in
> recording audio (e.g. from the microphone) too instead of only playing
> samples. From what I can tell from the sources and docs, this is not
> currently possible.
>
> My question is: are there any thoughts or plans on adding audio recording
> capabilities to SDL?

I´m also interested in this - so let´s start implementing this !

I´m working on a real-time-filter application (for my guitar...) and i
hat to learn how ill oss is ...

i was thinking about writing a little lib which does all these ioctl
calls for me...

if we´re planning to implement wav recording and playing there are some
fundamental
thinks to plan :

how should the data be read or written ?	stream or blocks ?
do we want to support different audio formats ?	(e.g. pcm, ulaw, mpeg?)

	perhaps someone has a soundcard which can play mp3s (or even record)
	(also some could implement mpeg video support ...)

i´m really new to sdl (i´ve only some parts of the docs and nothing more
...),
so a little bit advice would be nice, but in general i´ve got much
interest in
working on such a project .

bye,
enrico