[SDL] safe x-platform asm

Willy william.leeson at cs.tcd.ie
Tue Aug 31 07:46:35 PDT 1999

Charlie_Robson at scee.net wrote:

> how are people going about integrating asm into their projects in a cross
> platform manner?
>
> i wish to add an optimised asm blitter to a little project i'm working on, and
> wish to retain SDL's cross-platform ability. perhaps nasm is the way to go? has
> anyone tried using nasm and visualc++?
>
> Charlie Robson
> Sony Computer Entertainment Europe
> http://www.playstation-europe.com
>
> ***IMPORTANT NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT FROM SCEE MIS***
>
> ***New scee.net email address will replace playstation.sony.com***

> postmaster at scee.net
>
> This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
> for all known viruses.

> SCEE 1999

Yep they work fine you just have to remember to use -f win32 rather than -f elf as
the output object file format. You can then use VC's make facilities to
automagically create the object files etc. Anyhow it all works very well together.
I have project which compiles across a number of x86 platforms(NetBSD, FreeBSD,
Linux and Win32) using nasm for the assemnbler in conjunction with SDL.

Willy