[SDL] XServer for SDL ?

Warren Downs warren at businesslink.com
Thu Aug 26 13:40:38 PDT 1999

The point would be: SDL can be retargeted at a later date, to use GGI, or
SVGALib, or something else, and now you'd have an X server that would run on
that back end.  And yes, it would be good to have a free, featureful X server
for Win32 (the free ones available aren't open source, and don't support all
necessary features).

I suggest starting with the X server built into VNC
(http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/), which currently writes to an invisible
frame buffer, which is then transmitted to connected clients upon request.
However, I think it could easily be retargeted to SDL.

Or, you could start with Xvfb (X Virtual Frame Buffer), which also targets a
memory-based virtual frame buffer.  This should be easy to retarget to SDL.

Then, if we got SDL working on SVGALib, we might have a lighter-weight X server
for x86-based UNIX.  Also, it would then be a matter of recompiling to bring up
a new, free, X server for Win32.  Which would allow more people running that OS
to discover the power of X, and run various X apps locally, with decent
performance, for free.

Warren