[SDL] XServer for SDL ?

Dave Ashley (SDL list) sdl at xdr.com
Thu Aug 26 14:04:03 PDT 1999

>The point would be: SDL can be retargeted at a later date, to use GGI, or
>SVGALib, or something else, and now you'd have an X server that would run on
>that back end.  And yes, it would be good to have a free, featureful X server
>for Win32 (the free ones available aren't open source, and don't support all
>necessary features).
>
>I suggest starting with the X server built into VNC
>(http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/), which currently writes to an invisible
>frame buffer, which is then transmitted to connected clients upon request.
>However, I think it could easily be retargeted to SDL.
>
>Or, you could start with Xvfb (X Virtual Frame Buffer), which also targets a
>memory-based virtual frame buffer.  This should be easy to retarget to SDL.
>
>Then, if we got SDL working on SVGALib, we might have a lighter-weight X server
>for x86-based UNIX.  Also, it would then be a matter of recompiling to bring up
>a new, free, X server for Win32.  Which would allow more people running that OS
>to discover the power of X, and run various X apps locally, with decent
>performance, for free.
>
>Warren

Well I'm sold on the concept. It'd be very nice getting Xfree86 out of the
picture and its 50+ meg source tree (of what I wonder???). Essentially
impossible to join the project and contribute because there are
no reasonable docs explaining where everything is. And they're *really* slow
coming out with support for new boards.

Now if we're talking SDL running on SVGALib and that gives you fast
display updates...

Somehow I'd like something to magically happen such that a non root
application can take over the display (switch resolution and possibly
depth). I like fullscreen modes but I don't like running as root or
making /dev/mem accessable by everyone.

-Dave