[SDL] sensible optimization [was re: tile based _junk_]

Gary Scillian scillian at home.com
Mon Aug 23 01:44:16 PDT 1999

"Rafael R. Sevilla 94-22131" wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Prasanth Kumar wrote:
>
> > I read somewhere that movies can run at a low framerate because a video
> > camera captures the blurring effect when an object moves fast compared to
> > the camera speed. In a video game on the computer, the movement is discrete
> > and so you need to crank up the framerate to compensate for the lack of
> > blurring.

[snip]
> pronounced and hence the animation becomes chunky.  We can approximate the
> motion blur effect by determining how each pixel changes with time in
> between frames and convolving that function with a filter of some sort to
> get a final pixel value.  This process, or any one of several
> approximations to it (postfiltering and stochastic sampling to name only a
> few) are routinely done when generating high-quality computer animations,
> but I've never heard of it being done in real time, because it is clearly
> an expensive process.

Ah, but soon we'll have Playstation II capabilities (in PC's as well as
consoles), where the 600FPS rendering speeds for complex scenes can be
used to generate motion blur brute force (and real-time water caustics,
etc).

In fact, some of the next generation of PC 3D boards coming out this
fall will have sub-pixel rendering capabilities that can be used for
this...

Which is bad news for the current crop of game developers (IMHO) - it's
going to cost a lot of time and money to fill all that cinematic quality
with content that can take advantage of it.  I can foresee game
development costs going from the $2-5 million now to $10-30 million in a
couple of years...

Gary Scillian  scillian at home.com
"There's a seeker born every minute." - Firesign Theatre