[SDL] Using the programming language "ML"?

Michael Vance briareos at lokigames.com
Tue Aug 24 09:31:33 PDT 1999

On Tue, Aug 24, 1999 at 10:53:35AM +0200, ANOQ of the Sun wrote:

> I would like to know if anyone has serious
> interest in developing games (commercially) using
> the programming language "Standard ML"?

I'll actually keep this on list since I'm a functional language bigot
;). While I don't currently have the time, I'd *love* to see some of
this stuff develope. I graduated from Penn State, which has an
excellent functional programming languages department (Dale Miller,
Department Head, is one of the primary developers of Lambda Prolog). I
did standard AI, game theory, and compiler stuff in ML and Prolog, and
had a blast at it. It's frightening how few lines of ML it takes to
write a compiler for a procedural language.

What's the state of binding other languages to ML? The standard NJ
interpreter is written in C, so I'd assume it couldn't be too
hard. Your best bet may be to try and write ML bindings for
SDL. Hmm... makes the brain tingle ;).

m.

--
"How wonderful! How mysterious                                   Programmer
 I carry wood! I draw water!"                   Loki Entertainment Software