[SDL] Combining Layers

Sam Lantinga slouken at devolution.com
Sun Aug 15 13:04:50 PDT 1999

> Note: The RLE approach is nice in that it can be easily done in assembler
> (only do that if nothing else helps, anyway)

Note that SDL provides RLE acceleration if you pass SDL_RLEACCEL to the
SDL_SetColorKey() function.  The implementation is done in C, and is
very fast if you don't clip it much, or blit from a portion of the source
image.

> Using a 3D rendering API for this could enable hardware acceleration and
> 'cheap' transparency. However, SDL doesn't do this, so...forget it! :)

SDL does support hardware accelerated transparency and blitting, but
currently it's only exposed to the application code in DirectX.

I'm working on an internal "driver" format that will allow you to plug
in your own drivers that support acceleration, if you want to write them.
Look for it in 0.11.x

	-Sam Lantinga				(slouken at devolution.com)

Lead Programmer, Loki Entertainment Software
--
"Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature"
						 -- Rich Kulawiec