[SDL] faster way?

kwalker at aros.net kwalker at aros.net
Sat Aug 14 18:29:12 PDT 1999

On 14 Aug, Garrett wrote:
>    Ya I started a thread on that before. When you run it as root SDL will use
> DGA so it will run faster. Im writing up my own isometric engine btw. Still
> working on tiling it.

It doesn't seem to be working that way on my system.  I just got a new
box (P3 450) and I get between 18 and 18.5 fps no matter who I run it
as or what I do.

To origional poster: One thing I did notice is that the mouse flickers
like crazy when it's over the isotest window.  That's leading me to
believe that it's trying to redraw the whole screen with each frame.
This is generally a Bad Idea (tm) unless the whole screen changes
between each frame.  It would probably take some major restructuring of
the code, but if you could implement an "updates as required" method to
only update the parts of the screen that need it, I'm willing to bet
your frame rates would jump quite a bit right there.

-KW