[SDL] Re: Announcing SDL 0.10.0

Garrett mongoose at wpi.edu
Fri Aug 13 11:19:56 PDT 1999

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, you wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 13, 1999 at 11:30:45AM -0500, Garrett wrote:
> > >   I find it odd that SDL is one of the only libraries used
> > in a commercial game
> > > and yet it hasn't gotten the popularity that all the other
> > graphic libraries
> > > have.
> >
> > I think it's mainly cause a) SDL doesn't have the marketing hype of,
> > say, ClanLib, and b) it's "lower level" than some of the others.
>
> I think this is the important point - commercial game developers are more
> likely to be writing a lot of their own routines themselves. They don't want
> superflous network/image-loading/sprite-handling/whatever stuff in the core
> library. They just want an interface which gives them low-level access with
> minimum overhead and hand-holding.
>
> Anyway, that's _my_ reason for wanting to use SDL rather than any other libs
> - its minimalism is reassuring.

   Plus with all the legal issues now adays I think most commercial companies
want to use as much of their own code as possible for fear of lawsuits and
whatnot.... But then again with an entirely free Open Sourced library under a
GPL license I don't see why companies would avoid it. They can at least take
some of the code and use it if they don't like the entire library.

-Garrett, WPI student majoring in Computer Science.

"He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned
my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since
for him the spinal cord would suffice." -Albert Einstein