[SDL] safe x-platform asm

Charlie_Robson at scee.net Charlie_Robson at scee.net
Tue Aug 31 07:14:17 PDT 1999

On Sun, 08 Aug 1999, you wrote:
> > >My guess is that the XF86DGAGetVideo() call does some kind of memory
> > >mapping of the viedomemory ( don't know that much about DGA/X but
> > >that's how it works in DOS, hehe ), and hence the memory usage of the
> > >program get all screwed up. I took the figures from a previous
> > >posting:
>
> > > My guess is that you have 32mb on your videocard? Sun's Xserver does
> > > the same thing... Might be considered as a bug/feature of 'ps' though
>
> >   heh yep, I just bought my Xentor 32 the other day. Its a 2D/3D combo card so
> > you can use all 32 megs of memory in regular 2D mode. So its not really
> > allocating 32 megs of system memory?
>
> Wow, 32MB of video memory. :)
>
> No, it's not really allocating that RAM, just memory mapping it from your
> video card.  If the number had been 4MB or 8MB, I would have suggested that
> immediately. :)
>
> 	-Sam Lantinga				(slouken at devolution.com)

My Voodoo 3 X server do the same thing .

 226 root       0   0 64604  60M  1572 S       0  1.7 77.8   1:13 XF86_SVGA

But the Server homepage say it's cause of the Video Memory mapping ...

By the way, anyone know a good STL heap tutorial ? cause my book talk about
heap_sort but not in deep detail so I'm confuse :(

	Jeremie