[SDL] Compilation with VC++

KJ kevin at atc.sel.sony.com
Mon Aug 30 13:20:40 PDT 1999

> On Sun, 08 Aug 1999, you wrote:
> >My guess is that the XF86DGAGetVideo() call does some kind of memory
> >mapping of the viedomemory ( don't know that much about DGA/X but
> >that's how it works in DOS, hehe ), and hence the memory usage of the
> >program get all screwed up. I took the figures from a previous
> >posting:

> > My guess is that you have 32mb on your videocard? Sun's Xserver does
> > the same thing... Might be considered as a bug/feature of 'ps' though

>   heh yep, I just bought my Xentor 32 the other day. Its a 2D/3D combo card so
> you can use all 32 megs of memory in regular 2D mode. So its not really
> allocating 32 megs of system memory?

Wow, 32MB of video memory. :)

No, it's not really allocating that RAM, just memory mapping it from your
video card.  If the number had been 4MB or 8MB, I would have suggested that
immediately. :)

	-Sam Lantinga				(slouken at devolution.com)

Lead Programmer, Loki Entertainment Software
--
"Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature"
						 -- Rich Kulawiec