[SDL] Just a curious question

Garrett mongoose at wpi.edu
Fri Aug 6 15:15:18 PDT 1999

On Fri, 06 Aug 1999, you wrote:
> >   Does anyone elses SDL app run much faster as root? All Im doing is creating a
> > single surface and doing a direct access to the surface to draw some pixels.
> > The surface is just created using SDL_SWSURFACE so it should be in system mem.
> > Heres some averages for the user and the root running from TOP.  Also when I
> > run it as root, the memory the program uses goes from 3megs to 36 megs, whys
> > this?
>
> This is very strange.  Is the application running fullscreen?
> If so, it can memory map the video memory (which shows up as app memory)
> and set the MTRR range.

  Nope, its running in a 640x480 window both times. When running as
root, when my app returns at the very end of the program when I exit, I get the
message
video memory protecting
printed out into the console.

-Garrett, WPI student majoring in Computer Science.

"He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned
my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since
for him the spinal cord would suffice." -Albert Einstein