[SDL] book

Frank Ramsay fjramsay at erols.com
Mon Aug 23 17:38:48 PDT 1999

I don't know if everyone has heard of this book already but, I just
picked up:
"Real-Time Strategy Game Programming using MS DirectX 6.0"
ISBN:1-55622-644-6

The author, Mickey Kawick, worked on Age of Empires so it's not some
guy who wrote one game that no-one has ever played.  There is some
great stuff in it.  It covers everything: design documents, interface,
pathfinding, network, etc.  And while the book centers around
directX it contains a lot of good information that can be applied
to any library.
It has a really good section of raised/lowered terrain. and
how it works with different map types (iso/hex/rectangle)

So if you can spare the $60 pick it up. (you might find it worth it
just for the complete C source to Bresenham's line routine)

Interesting tidbit from the book: AoE has 23Meg of sprites, compressed.

			-fjr