[SDL] Is there a 3D sound mixer?

Gary Scillian scillian at home.com
Tue Aug 17 10:54:21 PDT 1999

Hello all.  I've been lurking for a while and I've really enjoyed it!
I've been working in the game industry for about four years, but I'll be
starting into some .mp3 work soon, and I'd like to keep in touch with
the game community.

I've been wanting to contribute some time to the SDL effort, and I was
wondering whether anyone is working on a (GPL'd) SDL-compatible 3D sound
mixer?  I was thinking along the lines of stereo panning and attenuation
that is typically found in DirectSound or the Miles Sound System.

Also, would it be bad style to do this in an object-oriented way using
C++?  It would be a layer sitting on top of the basic sound buffer
access in SDL and would make more sense at the game level, where
object-orientation has real advantages for code reuse, maintainability,
and reliability.

I've been doing mainly graphics engine work, so sound would be
interesting and fun for me.

Thanks for any guidance.

Gary Scillian  scillian at home.com
"There's a seeker born every minute." - Firesign Theatre