SDL plans for next release

Michael Samuel michael at surfdirect.com.au
Wed Apr 1 22:52:01 PST 1998

On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, Sam Lantinga wrote:

> Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 21:13:50 -0800
> From: Sam Lantinga <slouken at devolution.com>
> To: sdl at surfnetcity.com.au
> Subject: Re: SDL plans for next release
>
> > Both CD Audio control _and_ mixer controls are things that are
> > non-standard across operating systems, and requires a standardized
> > interface.  (And, quite easy to implement, too.)  It sounds like it's
> > right up SDL's alley!
>
> Yep! :)
>
> > Now my cross-platform games can have CD audio support, too.
>
> Yay!  That's the idea. :)

Well, the other thing that is non-standard, and becoming VERY popular
lately is networking...

Now, say you have a really cool game (Like Maelstrom), with network
support (like Linux Maelstrom), how much effort do you have to go to to
actually do these things:

1) Design a protocol that doesn't have a lag in it, and can be used for
syncronised game play (save the author from understanding tcp/ip networks)
(UDP is a MUST for this feature)

2) Keep the developer from jumping the hurdles of different tcp/ip
implementations

3) Allow people to have a (hopefully) working networking implementation,
so then the author can decide whether it is a bug in the networking or a
bug in the game core.

Of course, the way this thread is going, you might have to break the
library up into something like this:

libSDL-[graphics implementation].so
libSDL-cd.so
libSDL-joystick.so
libSDL-netplay.so

And then the author figures out which one he/she needs. (Then the
'Microsoft Office Syndrom' doesn't byte (ok, ok... bite) the library(s).

(In other words: 'Flame me!')

Michael Samuel,

Surf-Net City - Internet Cafe and Internet Service Providers
Phone: +61 3 9593-9977
E-Mail: <michael at surfdirect.com.au>
WWW: http://www.surfnetcity.com.au/~michael/