SDL on Solaris

Emil Brink d94-ebr at nada.kth.se
Fri Apr 17 01:10:10 PDT 1998

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Sam Lantinga wrote:

[on 5.5.1 etc]
> I did the original port to 2.5.1, and I did notice some differences
> when I went to 2.6 -- the lack of requiring -lpthread, for one.
> But.. if you don't include -lpthread, it will link, but creating
> threads will fail.  Heh.

OK. Getting SDL to run under Solaris really isn't a priority for me
right now, I was just getting bored yesterday and thought I'd give
it a shot.

[on rectangles]
> This should only be necessary if clipping is done or the rectangles
> fall outside the source or destination surfaces.  NOTE however, that
> you MUST pass the returned (modified) rectangles to SDL_UpdateRects(),
> otherwise you may get a blit that was clipped and then an update that
> is not.  Doh!

Aha. I generally use UpdateRect(0, 0, 0, 0) to get a full-screen up-
date after I've done all my blitting... Typically, I redraw the
entire screen every frame, so I *suppose* redrawing by rectangles
could actually cost me performance. I haven't tried it, and I haven't
checked the code, though...

[colorkeying #1]
> That should work.

I thought so too. :) I'll give it another shot when I get home
tonight.

[colorkeying #2]

> Bad, bad.  Please send me the code in a private e-mail, and I'll take
> a look.  This shouldn't happen.

OK. I don't have the code here (at school), but I can send it to you
later tonight (local time, of course :).

> Are you using this under X11?  What bit-depth are you running?

Yeah, it's X11 using 8 bpp.

/Emil