SDL and blitting

Emil Brink d94-ebr at nada.kth.se
Wed Apr 1 00:01:42 PST 1998

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Sam Lantinga wrote:

> > Anyway,
> > thanks for opening up the blitter under Windows, at least
>
> No problem.  Remember, you need to create your surface with the same format
> as the video surface, and create both in video memory for the hw blit to work.

Um... Do you enforce that behaviour? If you do, then I would suggest
you leave it to the DirectDraw driver. There is at least a slight
possibility that some driver writers support such blits (at least
that's what I've gathered from some talk over on rec.games.
programmer).

Also, does SDL support double buffering? I took a quick peek through
the DirectX source yesterday, and it looked as if you never call
Flip()... Again, if you don't, then in my opinion, that might be
worth investigating. Refreshsynchronized double buffering is always
neat to have around..

/Emil